Friday, December 12, 2008

Day 3...Full moon...adam


Chris, Luis, Janice, Jim, Billy Ray, David, Bill, Orville, Sarah, Jesse, Gus, Kevin, Tyrone, Jason, Craig, Evelyn, Mark, Harold, Dallas, Silas, Pancho, Julian, JB, Andy, Mark from the gas station, Claire, Harvey, Peter, are just some of the wonderful people I've gotten to know over the past week. These are the names that I remember, there are some riders/supporters who I've shook hands with, shared meals but have yet to get their names. I wanted to start out with them on this blog tonight because they are the ones who are really making this ride come alive. From the riders who are logging 30 miles a day on horseback, to Janice/Luis who prepared all of the food for the nights we were staying in Ft. Thompson, to Julian and Dallas who are camping out every night in a tepee to watch over the horses at night, everyone is playing a part in this truly amazing journey that I am so happy and proud to be part of and also a witness to. I spent the night in the tepee with Julian, Dallas, and Pancho and wanted to wish them well as they are sleeping there again tonight. I look forward to other opportunities I have to spend the night there. The last few days have been difficult. A lot of riding, confusion at times about when to have the camera on/off, which ceremony's could be filmed which could not, discussions about our own production team coming together with people from different backgrounds, what we saw the film as, getting to know the riders, excitement, exhaustion, I'd say the emotions ran the gamut. What I do feel today though and I'm confident that the riders/supporters feel the same way is that this film and the ride are coming together as one. We're not making a film about this ride, we really want this group, community to feel that they are part of the film making process as well as it has been evident that the riders/Native American community want us as the film crew to be a part of the ride. The word that has been used a lot is family. We all have a new family. Sound Utopian? Pancho will I know be able to link this Utopian ideal scientifically and all that really means is communication, honesty, amongst people of different backgrounds. On some level we all know this, but watching it unfold in practice in the middle of a small town in South Dakota is amazing and even more inspiring to be a part of. It makes me miss my family, my loved ones and makes me want to reach out to those who matter most in my life.

Some specifics about the ride today. Great shots all around today culminated by Silas jumping a fence to hang with some wild horses and donkeys to get a ridiculous sunset and simultaneous moon shot over a rolling hill. Sitting on the side of the road was never so gratifying. According to Sarah, Silas has horse medicine in him, which at this point I'm bound to believe as he truly has an amazing way with the animals and enjoys getting the shots with no fear. To make sure the 30 or so miles was achieved today, there was a relay happening with the riders/horses. 3 or 4 groups would take turns riding throughout the day with the thought that smaller groups could cover more ground as well as keep the riders/horses safer as we approach towns with more traffic on the roads. All of the riders have been fantastic and what they are doing for themselves, their families, and the Native American culture is more and more inspiring everyday. I know I'm using that word a lot, but it's the best description I could come up with. I can't wait for everyone to see this footage and to be able to truly appreciate the dedication and commitment that it takes to organize, feed, shelter, ride over 16 days for 330 miles in cold weather and possible dangerous conditions.

I wish all who are reading this a safe day, night and wherever your journey takes you. By the way it's a FULL MOON tonight, go outside and howl at it, I promise you you'll feel good.

No comments: