Monday, November 12, 2007

Margaret Mead, Couch Surfing,.. Generosity :)

Last night Jenny Douglas and I were part of the Margaret Mead film festival and it was a fantastic event. Jenny spoke to the crowd of 200 about KarmaTube and rocked the house. I told a few stories of Smooth Feather and the best question came from the crowd at the end. One gentlemen asked, "So Silas, how do you afford your apartment?" I smiled and responded with, "Currently I don't have an apartment :)" I have a feeling I may have been the first filmmaker at the festival without a home. Although these days my home seems to be defined by the many glorious couches & kitchen tables that have been generously offered to me over the past months.

Speaking of offerings, a recent friend of mine Laurie Meadoff made an offer to Smooth Feather that was over the top! I recently got together with Laurie at her production house NextNext Entertainment in Manhattan . Their work is fantastic and their latest project called Hometown Baghdad, is an online documentary series about life during wartime. If you haven't seen it, you should definitely check it out. At any rate, last Thursday we were sitting at her beautiful office in midtown and I began to explain the spirit behind Smooth Feather Productions and how we all resonate with giving with no strings attached. And at the end of the conversation Laurie says with a smiles, "well, we've just had a few people relocate and we've got some extra office space if you'd like it." A ridiculously generous offer! :) So now the Smooth Feather posse may be meeting up for a bit at W 38th on the 18th floor! :) The joys of the gift economy.

And if that wasn't enough, Laurie then offered her expertise to help distribute "Back in Life" to many of her network connections at MTV, VH1, HBO and the like. My only request was that we give it away to the networks at no cost, with no strings attached...well one string attached...that no adds interrupt the films :)

In other news, we just re-cut an old promo video for CouchSurfing.com over the weekend. 6 Years ago Casey Fenton and I put together a video in my backyard in Maine when CouchSurfing was only a crazy idea in Casey's head. Today the site has over 350,000 members world wide and been featured in the NY times and covered by NBC nightly news. CouchSurfing is an amazing worldwide network for making connections between travelers and the local communities they visit....and its free:)

Due to some copyright issues of a Sublime song we used 5 years ago I offered to recut the promo piece for CouchSurfing and add a bit more flare to the video :)

Feel free to check out the promo here.



Big Smiles from NYC,...next Couch...The home of the Jones Street Boys!

No comments: